FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to MileagePlus Award and Upgrade Policies - Eff. 3-Feb-2014
Old Nov 1, 2013, 2:33 pm
2919scott

Programs: UA Gold
It is unfortunate, but I guess this is just the nature of business when a supplier feels that you don't have any other attractive choices on the open market for their service.

Could a restaurant, grocery store or auto manufacturer get away with treating their clientele like this? The simple answer is no. People would decide that the service no longer has value and look for a better provider.

The trend at United is troubling if you're a frequent or even semi-frequent traveler. Fewer F and E+ seats on planes, credit card holders getting priority access, the much discussed changes in the United Club are all decreases in service. Smisek's mentality is that we will all gripe about the changes, threaten to leave, never fly United again etc., but that ultimately most of us will stay. It's obvious that he believes that with all things being equal (with United's win for the race to the bottom), we won't change to AA or DL, we'll stay loyal to UA.

I'll be leaving, but the transition is going to be tough. I will finish up 2013 as a 1K with 135,000 bis miles. The major downside for me is I have almost 900,000 miles in my MileageMinus account. Pre-booking award trips prior to February 1st will be a challenge and should hopefully save me something, but goodbye to F. I guess the remaining miles will get me through until I have enough miles on the next airline I become a frequent flyer at, so that I can again begin to book award travel again.

It's great to feel loved. Thanks Jeff.