FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Am I being double dinged for reward stay?
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:07 am
millsryno

Programs: US Airways (Platinum), HHonors (Diamond)
Am I being double dinged for reward stay?

I booked a reward stay several months ago for an October stay at Hilton Clearwater Beach and have since completed the stay. I booked 2 rooms for 2 nights each @ 40K points per room per night. The total should be 80K per room, 160K total. As is normal, when I originally reserved these rooms (months ago), it took out the 160K points at the time of reservation.

I usually have upwards of 1 million points, so don't keep real close tabs on the exact point total. For example, I don't usually concern myself with knowing that I have exactly 963K points, but rather "900 something thousand" points. I usually have a pretty good grasp if I am in the 800Ks or 900s or over a million or what not.

As mentioned above, when I reserved the rooms at the Hilton Clearwater (months ago), my point total dropped (as it always does) upon reservation for the 160K points. In the several months time between when I made the reservation and actually stayed, I thought I had my balance worked up into the 900Ks points again.

After my stay I thought I noticed a big drop in my point total...enough to catch my attention, especially because they had already taken out the points from my account. All the sudden I was down in the 800Ks??

When I log into my account and click "all points activity" or "past stays", I see two separate stays listed for -160K points (in the "points earned column" it says "-160000") for my stay at the hotel. When I click to view receipt, I can verify that both receipts have the same confirmation number. When I click expand, I can verify that both stays have two certificate numbers listed. The two numbers are different numbers, but each stay has the same two numbers listed.

This makes me skeptical that I am being double deducted. I should only be deducted a total of 160K points, but am thinking I am being deducting 320K points.

I reach out to the diamond desk and they tell me that regardless of what I see on my screen, since they are both the same reservation number, rest assured I am only being deducted the 160K points, not the 320K points.

It still does not sit well with me. I cannot see any way to verify this on my own other than taking their word for it. I do not see any kind of monthly statement that I can reconcile from. Any advise?