FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Windstar Costa Rica cruise-6 ports
View Single Post
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:36 am
susiesan

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
I hope you're not picturing that any of these places will be like St. Thomas or Puerto Vallarta. Windstar's claim to fame is that it calls at places the big guys don't and can't. The destinations are pretty small. SJDS will be the largest port of call here; Quepos will be similar in size. Playas del Coco is a small town. The other three are tiny. There's plenty to do, but my point is that I think your best option will probably be Windstar's shore excursions. Especially in Curu, Drake, and Tortuga, they may be your only options.

Everybody I've talked to who has done this cruise has loved it for exactly this reason. The destinations are small and intimate.
No, I'm not expecting these places to be like the Caribbean. That's why I booked this cruise, for the small towns and national parks that can be visited.

As I've been to Granada, I've found a local guy who will take us on a tour to the Masaya Volcano. I have to research whether it's worth spending all day to get there and back.

I have found a local tour provider at Bahia Drake who will do the same tour to Corcovado Park as the ship does, twice as long and less cost. I know I can find someone local at Quepos to be a guide at Manuel Antonio Park when we get there. We'll take a cab or bus from Quepos to the park and hire a guide at the park entrance.

Windstar is only offering shore excursions at Quepos and Bahia Drake. There is nothing available through them for the other ports.