FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What happens to Avios / TPs / status upon the death of the account holder ?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:55 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome penhill57

penhill57, I am very sorry to read about the loss of your husband, it must be a really bad time for you. Along the way I also welcome you to the British Airways forum on Flyertalk. Despite the bad circumstances that brought you here, I am still pleased that you have found us. Please feel free to join in here, were are fairly diverse group and it's a good place to make new friends. Welcome onboard.

I am afraid it is a well known feature of Avios is that they don't "belong" to the passenger, they belong to the airline and the airline specifically says in the T&Cs that upon death they revert to BA. I think most frequent flyer schemes are the same in that respect. I know of people who are a little coy about mentioning the death of their loved ones in this situation, but it is nonetheless a breach of the terms and conditions if they take advantage of that delay.

I doubt that this is what you wanted to read, but I am sorry to say that's how it works on BA, and indeed many other airlines. If there is a particular issue on a specific flight you may find a bit of flexibility by contacting Customer Service, but that is as far as it goes I think. The other advantage of this forum is to find out other ways of building up Avios balances, and so maybe that is a pointer for you.

Again, my commiserations at your loss.