FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It Gets Better, Unless You're Fat
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:32 am
MegatopLover

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I recently attended my first Gay Days at Disneyland. It was eye opening in many ways, but the biggest was that there were a lot of fat/obese guys (and gals) in red shirts from what appeared to be many different parts of the USA and walks of life. I'm not sure why I expected young, chiseled guys like so many pride events or circuit parties, but it was refreshing to see more of our diverse community. (So much less attitude as well).
FWIW, there are at least two, probably three or more, worlds in Orlando during Gay Disney weekend. One, the red-shirts in the parks. Two, the circuit crowd at the host hotel pool parties (BV Palace the last two years) and the after hours (usually held at Arabian Nights, sometimes elsewhere), some of whom also show up for the other parties. Three (though I report only from the knowledge of a driver I'd trust), the cruisers at the Parliament House and similar such venues.

If you'd gone to the Palace or Arabian Nights, your expectations would have been met, for better or worse.

As for the actual topic of this thread, it gets down to whether some discrimination is socially permissible (even desirable?). Thankfully, prejudice against gay people for being gay is ending, or at least winding down, in many parts of many cultures around the world, though of course it remains present in many pockets. Prejudice against--or for--overweight people remains acceptable in many cultures, including many Western ones, and this is not news (perhaps the only news being that this is considered the last acceptable form of prejudice, when once prejudice against gays was). Many forms of "discrimination" are totally acceptable, particularly as concerns matters of taste: IMO, wine from Georgia is rubbish, New York passable, California magnificent (provided the right producer, location, varietal, blah blah blah). When cruising for a date, or a hookup, we should not be surprised when someone expresses taste, even if it manifests itself in a form of discrimination unacceptable in other walks of life. I'm into Asian men. That's a preference, a matter of taste reflecting what my mind's eye finds desirable in an object of affection. That's not wrong, and to hell with anyone who tries to tell me it is. But would I discriminate for or against Asian men when it comes to a job? No, of course not. That would wrong. And to hell with anyone who tries to tell me it's acceptable.

Last edited by MegatopLover; Oct 22, 2013 at 4:43 am