FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bevoinva

I see that you can use an SWU for up to 3 segments each way. My question is how this works when you have a 4 segment itinerary. Would I be given a choice when I call in as to which 3 segments to apply the upgrade to?

You get to choose your 3 segments. Just let the EXP agent know when you call to apply the SWU

Also, on a related note, I have also seen on the SWU thread that if any of your segments clear they will deduct the SWU from your account. My ORD-PEK leg is showing no upgrade availability on Expert Flyer so that will be waitlisted. What is the best way to handle the request - just request for the ORD-PEK flight and when that flight clears, go back and determine whether I can upgrade the other domestic segments at that time with the SWU? For any segment over the three that I can't get the SWU applied, can I depend on a normal complementary upgrade based on my EXP status?

You can specify the three desired segments and the preference (which is the default) to only upgrade the domestic legs if the international is upgraded. As for the other segment, that may be more dicey. Some folks request the "sticker" upgrade on those even if they're covered by the SWU. Some have reported problems, others not. I don't know what happens if one segment is not technically covered by the SWU and requested separately as I've never done that.

Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers.