FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on airline booking for overweight traveler
Old Oct 20, 2013, 7:10 am
gsusser

Advice on airline booking for overweight traveler

An embarrassing question, but here goes. I fly somewhat regularly from the New York area (Jersey City) to Santo Domingo, DR. The only airlines that fly direct are United (from Newark) and JetBlue (from JFK).

I choose JetBlue all the time because an emergency row seat accommodates my weight without a problem whereas I'm uncomfortable in a regular seat and I make the traveler next to me uncomfortable. United does not offer such big seats except in business or first class. There is no economy plus on United to Santo Domingo (and I'm not sure if those seats are as big as the emergency row seats on JB). I'd much rather prefer United since Newark Airport is 20 minutes from me while JFK is twice the distance and cab fare.

I also find myself going out of my way to use JetBlue for other destinations, like unnecessarily taking connecting flights in order to get the larger seat.

Do I have any alternative (other than losing weight, haha... I'm working on it.)