FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2013, 4:30 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by maple
I might just have made a big mess of my reservation. Companion and I (previously) on same PNR are within my Premier upgrade window and CPU cleared on 1/4 segments. I checked and this was the RN status:

Seg 1 RN1
Seg 2 RN2
Seg 3 RN4
Seg 4 CPU Cleared

I assumed (likely wrongly) that Seg 1 RN1 was the reason we were not upgraded on the other 3 remaining segments. Thus, I called in to split the PNR since Seg was F1 anyway so staying together would not have helped the CPU. I had hoped that splitting PNR would have cleared Segments 2 and 3.

- my CPU is still not processed despite being alone on a PNR with RN1 and within my upgrade window (I thought it would auto clear now that I am alone on the PNR?)

- agent assured me that my companion on his own new PNR would still keep my Premier status and the upgrade request (doesn't seem true, see below)

- agent said that having R/RN inventory available does not imply automatic CPU clearance (really?? in this case, why would anybody need to have ExpertFlyer track when R/RN opens up?)

- I just checked my companion's PNR and it no longer shows any upgrade requested for the 3 remaining segments

- do I have to call back to merge/unsplit the PNR?

Just started flying UA this year and totally new to CPUs.
How badly did I mess up, and how should I undo this mess? HUACA?
CPUs do not come out of the R you see.
You cannot un-split a split PNR.
Your companion will no longer carry your status, which is why he/she is not on list
ExpertFlyer is useful for looking for R inventory to use instruments (GPUs/RPUs) for upgrades. It is useless for CPU notification.
Upgrades do not necessarily appear at your upgrade window. If you get one, it could be when you are sitting in your coach seat and a GA comes and gets you. The wording on the upgrade window is: "As early as", not "at".

This will probably get moved to a very long existing thread...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Oct 16, 2013 at 4:37 pm