FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A family trip to Westin Playa Conchal (all inclusive), Liberia, Costa Rica
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:45 am
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Marriott Airport Newark Liberty.
Deluxe View Room.
300 sq feet

A few thunderstorms on the way back but otherwise an uneventful return back through the USA.

We arrived at Newark and zipped through US Customs with Global Entry. My son pronounced “Holy guacamole!” when he saw the number of US customs wickets at Newark Liberty International Airport. Immigration lines were pretty much dead and fortunately, the GE kiosk even was able to register my nine year old’s fingerprints through his Nexus application. The talking holograph face on the public side of the arrivals hall as you exit was also entertaining.

We collected our bags and located the free shuttle to the Marriott Hotel. Altought the property is situated in the middle of the three Terminals, it is not walkable from the arrivals hall and shuttle bus stops (despite appearing to be so). Ring roads with guard rails surround the property making passage difficult with large suitcases. Here's a dark snapshot from the aircraft on arrival.

On check in, we were upgraded to a Deluxe View room on the Top floor corner. We were offered use of the Concierge Lounge, but it was closed during the duration of our short stay.

I’d have to say that this was one of the tiniest rooms that I’ve had in North America in quite some time. At 300sqft / 27 sqm, it seemed tiny for the three of us.

My son already took to jumping on his bed.

MrsWT73 considered it a “dump” although it was much better than a shuttle to an off airport property as we only had an 10 hour layover. It was obvious that this was an older property with smaller rooms that been refurbished. had been re-configured. Despite being a dump, it was much nicer than the dismal and dark Fairfield Inn at SEA-TAC where I’ve stayed with Marriott in the past. Hey - I was happy earning 2 miles per dollar with a Marriott property versus the 1 mile per dollar that I get with the Fairfield Inn. ^

We had a quick and efficient sleep here before we were due back at Newark Terminal A in 8 hours.