FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A family trip to Westin Playa Conchal (all inclusive), Liberia, Costa Rica
Old Oct 10, 2013, 5:37 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Vancouver Airport Transborder Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge

UA’s Premier Access check in a mess when we approached at T-90. The business check in was chaos although UA staff were proactively issuing baggage tagging for those that had checked in via kiosk but hadn’t made it to the front of the two agent line.

We dropped bags and headed to USA pre-clearance. All the checked bags at YVR for USA bound flights are dropped and scanned on at the same area for all carriers together with a built in scale into the conveyor belt. No weight problems here and we were cleared through US Customs quickly with Nexus / Global Entry (both machines are available). There is a dedicated lane for Nexus holders, but unlike TSA Pre-Check, the security process is still the same (laptops / liquids out, shoes off and belts off).

We made a quick stop at the Vancouver Trans-border Maple Leaf Lounge. My favorite lounge in Vancouver, it’s never fully occupied, appropriately sized, and there is always room to find a lounge chair. A quick 30-minute stop for us of which I was involved in getting my son fed and watered.

AC has taken down the Maple Leaf Lounge business hours from the website so here are some current ones…

Plenty of seating and an abundance of lounge chairs make this place a favourite for me.

The usual offerings here for breakfast. Toast, oatmeal and a few muffins along with a selection of juices.

Great reverse views of the Fairmont Vancouver Airport as seen from the lounge.

At about this time, my son became strangely pre-occupied with tornadoes that were going to "wipe us out "on approach to Houston. It was entertaining to see the trip from the eyes of a 9 year old and the worries that they may have compared to the usual adult worries.

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Oct 10, 2013 at 6:07 pm