FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emotional Support Animal Policy
View Single Post
Old Oct 3, 2013, 1:31 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I personally do not think they belong out of their carriers, but I suppose that will start an uproar.
Concur - dare we speculate that most of the pet owners who claim their dogs are ESA are fakers who simply don't want pay to transport the (caged) animal in the cabin (as the rest of us are required to do)? I have yet to see any ESAs wearing the vests that are almost always found on guide dogs for the blind.

Unfortunately I have found that many companies (e.g. Starbucks) maintain policies that do not permit employees to question anyone claiming this condition or to require medical documentation for ESAs which leaves the field open for fakers. However if you look up the applicable federal ADA guidelines you'll find that it is perfectly legal for anyone to question the owner as to what services the animal provides. "Emotional support" is not legit under the ADA guidelines that apply to restaurants, so it has been my experience that most owners will claim that the animal detects seizures (because that's impossible to verify) as opposed to vision impairment (which is rarely faked and easily verified).

I know where this thread is headed, so let me be the first to say "In before the lock!"

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 9, 2013 at 12:05 am Reason: Edited per moderator request