FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rules against campaigning prevent TalkBoard from being relevant to most users
Old Oct 2, 2013, 4:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Moderators simply view FlyerTalk differently than non-moderators do.

These folks don't mind being told what to do by the CD, but they sure as hell are not going to take direction from the likes of the TB or the posters.
I for one welcome our new TalkBoard overlords.

Seriously, any member can make a pitch to our Community Director recommending creating a particular guideline for moderation. One major obstacle is that one style of moderation does not suit all forums. A moderator of a quiet forum can afford the time to be gentle with everyone. A busy forum needs harsher moderation if a small number of moderators is to be able to keep the forum reader-friendly. Overall I think FlyerTalk members are getting pretty good service from a bunch of unpaid enthusiasts.

Originally Posted by Jenbel
I think you have to remember the mods are not a monolithic group.
And as I mentioned above, different forums need different styles. Having different personality types helps in tailoring moderator style to forum needs.