FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethical Question: Amenities kits in F/J left behind by psgrs. fair game?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 9:36 am
Delta Hog

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
"Finders keepers" belongs on the playground with 6 year olds. Adults are supposed to have the ability to discern what belongs to themselves and what is the property of others. If your ticket for air travel did not include a class of service which includes an amenity kit, you do not have the right to unilaterally "upgrade" yourself and take one.

I take back my previous comment about taking amenity kits left behind on a plane not being a crime. Since making it, I have learned that

1. Airlines do reuse unopened ones left behind

2. These kits sell in online auctions for $60 to $300, so my previous analogy to hotel toiletries was wrong. Helping yourself to one isn't taking shampoo, it's taking the bed or desk or TV.
Well, I wouldn't take one (if for no other reason, than I wouldn't know if the owner had truly "abandoned" or whether they were just in the bathroom before deplaning or something).

What if it was perfectly clear the owner abandoned? Say, if the owner carried it off the plane and then left it in a seat in the terminal and walked away. Can one take it then?