FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ethical Question: Amenities kits in F/J left behind by psgrs. fair game?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:29 pm
etch5895

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
That's a stupid question - people will take it because they can use it or give it to someone who can. Obviously, the original owner didn't need it. I have done this a few times. Bags I've given away to relatives to use for makeup. The contents I've used. The way I see it it's abandoned property, so it's a fair game. Once the FA hands it to the passenger, it becomes theirs. If it's left behind, the cleaning crew will most likely have to pick it up and whether it's reused afterwards or not is probably decided based on airline's policy. I wouldn't take a chance that it will get trashed and grab one on my way out if I can. I don't walk around the premium cabins and collect these - I check if there are any wrapped ones on either side of the aisle I use to deplane and grab one and only one. So, maybe it's frowned upon or "dishonorable" as some claim but I definitely don't see anything wrong with it. And it's definitely not the same as grabbing stuff from the maid's cart at hotels for 1 simple reason - the stuff on the cart is not designated for a specific room/person and is hotel's property - same as the amenity kits that are yet to be distributed to the passengers on board. Once the items are in possession of the guest/traveler they are theirs to use as they see fit or in some cases leave behind.
If you want an amenity kit, book a first or business class ticket and you can take it with you, if you feel the need for it. Otherwise, it is not yours to take, and if you take it without permission of the crew, you are a thief. Every thief has many reasons why they feel entitled to something that doesn't belong to them, and most mirror your excuses. I'm sure each airline has their own policy regarding reusing unopened kits, but I'd venture to guess that airlines will reuse unopened ones to cut costs. If they felt that all coach passengers should have them, they would have given you one. Its hardly abandoned property and in any case it isn't yours to take. Do you also grab all of the in flight magazines and safety information cards out of every seat pocket you pass on the way up? After all, those were also abandoned by the previous occupants.

On a lighter note, I'm sure that if you wanted to take one amenity kit as a souvenir for your kid, and asked a crew member if it was OK to take it, they would probably say yes. But to help yourself to unsecured passenger or airline property that you feel you are entitled is stealing.