FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What more could I have done?
View Single Post
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:26 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canopus27
A couple of years ago (pre eUpgrades) I was flying to CDG and I had called in a couple of days prior to get on the upgrade wait list.

Flight day. I got to the airport early, was waiting in the lounge, and at boarding time I went to the gate and asked if they had processed the upgrade list yet. I was told (1) Yes they had and J was now full, (2) I was not even on the upgrade list, and (3) it's too bad because I had higher status than some people who did get upgrades, so if I'd been on the list then I would have cleared.

Missing out on an upgrade happens ... but missing an upgrade because there's some screw-up about the list is even more frustrating. Since then I've made it a habit to confirm with the checkin agent that I am at least on the list. They will not tell you if your upgrade has cleared, or where you stand on the list ... but they will at least confirm that you are on the list.
I posted about this a while back, but one time, I had a confirmed upgrade YVR-YUL. Due to IRROPS, I missed the flight, and was rebooked onto a YVR-YYZ the next day. They said they couldn't give me the upgrade, but they put me on the list. J was wide open, so I had high hopes.

Next morning, I ask the MLL agent if I should eat in the lounge, or if my upgrade's going to go through. She said to just eat a very small snack.

I get to the gate, and boarding has begun. Up to the podium, and I ask if the upgrades have been processed. "Yes, what's your name?" "cow" "You weren't on the list." "The lounge agent sure seemed to think I was."

She checked her computer for a few minutes, then to a colleague, said, "Hey, come look at this. This gentleman isn't on this upgrade list, but is on THIS upgrade list." "Oh that's very strange."

"Sir, would you like window or aisle?"

So I got the upgrade, as J was only half full. But had there been a lot of people on the list, I doubt I would have been nearly as lucky. And I had checked with someone at the airport, and I was on a list, just not the list.

So while there are things you can do to verify, it's hard to know exactly what you need to do. "Hi can you tell me if I'm on both upgrade lists?" is probably going to get you a blank stare.