FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The dangers of baggage carousels
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:36 am
Loren Pechtel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
That is not it. The baggage conveyor was probably started by a manual process there -- I'm almost certain of that, but that's how it used to be at this airport.

My bet is she was waiting for either a stroller or a car seat at the baggage conveyor for oversized luggage, and that has a terminating point as quite clearly also indicated in the article:

"The carousel for oversized luggage is a flat, black rubber-type belt that moves in only one direction, ending with a series of horizontal rollers that slow the luggage to a stop, for pickup. It's several feet long and passengers can stand on either side of it or at the receiving end, said the airport spokeswoman, who by custom is not identified."

Think of it like this:

______|||
|||||||||||
--------|||

This kind of arrangement isn't really unique in Europe or even parts of Asia, and this kind is even more common:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/striderv/3908945923/

I wouldn't be surprised if the airline's reluctance to allow gate-checking and gate-delivery of strollers was a contributing factor to this accident. If not for having "oversized luggage" -- and "oversize" in Europe can even be a collapsible stroller that could rather easily fit in an overhead bin even as it would likely take up the entire overhead bin -- this accident almost certainly wouldn't have happened how it did.

Very few people realize how potentially dangerous those "dead-end" "oversize" baggage "belts" can be. Most people don't even realize such baggage claim areas have moving parts that are manually and remotely activated since they most often or only see that baggage "belt" stationary.
Ok, now it makes sense. I don't recall ever seeing such a system, only the conventional systems where the baggage goes round and round.

If the kid could fall between the rollers that could be a very bad situation.