FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Embarassing Travel Moments
View Single Post
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:51 am
Mr. Vker

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Funny moment---one of the many reasons I travel actually. (To get the story, I am American. White, Blonde, 6' 5" tall, 280 lbs.)

At the reclining Buddha in Bangkok, my wife, uncle and I were enjoying our tour. I had been there before, but first for my uncle. A man that appeared local approached me and made a "picture taking" gesture next to his wife. I thought he wanted me to take a photo of his wife and him. "Sure", I said...and reached for the camera from his wife. His wife pulled the camera and backed up. He smiled and put his arm around me. (He barely was taller than my waist.) HE WANTED A PICTURE WITH ME-a giant American. I smiled..photo snapped...and we shook hands. He asked if I was American. He was Indonesian. Great experience. I regret not getting a picture myself, but my wife had the camera in another part of the temple.

Great experience.

Another thing I like to do (not embarrassing) is setting up my chess set in a hotel lounge or lobby etc. Doesn't take long for someone to want to play. I have played chess with people all over the world. In some (many) cases we don't share a word of a common language. Wonderful experiences.