View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 13, 10:06 am
DrMaturin

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
Here's a language one: American to English......

I was out to dinner at a very posh restaurant in London with my then boyfriend, his sister and her fiance. After dinner the waitress asked if we would like coffee or tea. We all ordered coffee and as the waitress started to walk away, I said in my American voice which tends to carry "Oh, could you please make mine a decaf or I'll be tossing all night". Well the waitress's mouth popped open and she dropped the plate she was carrying. My boyfriend turned purple, the fiance spit his water out, the sister burst out laughing and every head in the restaurant turned and looked at me.

I had no clue what I'd said and after the fiance and sister stopped laughing they told me that tossing is English slang for masturbating. And apparently the way I'd said it I'd put the emphasis on "all night" made it even funnier. The guy and I dated for another year after that and for the rest of our relationship his sister and fiance/husband teased him about being able to keep the American girl satisfied or did I still need to "toss all night"
You're story reminded me of something that happened to a friend, and I guess it's travel related. He was an American exchange student spending a year of high school in Australia. He was a wrestler and as he was getting ready to compete in a match he turned to a girl he was sweet on and asked "Are you going to root for me tonight?" She hauled off and slapped him in the face.

In America to root means to cheer for. In Australia it has vulgar sexual connotations, which my friend learned the hard way.