FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Club changes (drinks and Wifi) - Sept/Oct. 2013
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:24 pm
seanp7

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
While we love to complain about AC, the lounges are definitely better - relatively less crowded, better maintained and way better selection of liquor and generally self service (snacks and liquor) too. Last time I used a UA lounge I was honestly considering just heading back out to a restaurant. I am looking forward to visiting the Turkish lounge in Istanbul soon - they have a chef, pool tables, etc.
I don't think TK (yes, IST is pretty excellent) or AC are valid comparisons, though. Virtually ANY international lounge in a decent sized city is going to be better than any UC. I'm thinking here even the smaller BA & QF lounges too. There are exceptions, as always (TG domestic was poor on a recent trip).

US-based lounges have far more throughput and flight volumes to deal with, and that obviously stops them putting decent self-serve liquor or anything remotely edible (ok, baby carrots are fine) out for the masses to attack and hit their bottom-line. I visited the AC in Toronto for US Departures weekly for 2 years and never saw the volumes I see these days in a UC. And I loved that lounge! A better comparison is DL/AA - and this is where UA is now dropping well behind. There's no way I'd pay for a UC membership these days.