FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - British Airways promo: Convert 20,000 Starpoints Into 31,250 Avios
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:49 am
holtju2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It all depends on what you need. There are some sweet spots in the new BA Avios scheme. If you want a coach award on nonstop AA or AS flights in the US, Avios can be a great bargain. For example, if you find space on one of the nonstop AS flights from the west coast to Hawaii, the Avios coast will be less than any of the domestic carriers. We had a new FTer at a San Diego dinner last month. She had gotten 5 RT coach awards to Hawaii for her family using Avios on AS. I've redeemed Avios on connector flights in Australia (QF), Southern Africa (BA), and Japan (JAL) with great success. I even redeemed for CX F from HKG-LAX, where the number of Avios was higher with BA but the fee was lower than with AA. The key thing was that AA had no availability and BA did.

I wouldn't recommend anyone move SPG points unless they know the Avios program and have a specific award they are targeting with Avios. If all that is in place, then a 25% bonus is a very nice thing to get.
You got it right. Avios can be good under certain specific circumstances, but is not overall good program to dump miles just because they are offering a transfer bonus.