FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voting Over, Motion Failed: Close the Travel News Forum
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:29 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I very much appreciate both Sharon's and Carol's reaching out to discuss this in a thoughtful, civil, respectful way to find what is most helpful for FlyerTalk.

There were two stickied "housekeeping" threads in Travel News. One of these explicitly focused on the "recap and discussion" requirement in response to both the FT TOS and some previous era spamming/post-padding in the forum. All was done in consultation with the Community Director.

That thread has now been eliminated and there is one now-updated "Welcome" thread in the forum which encourages (but does not require) discussion on what is, after all, a discussion board

In response to some other regular Travel News users thoughtfully, civilly, and respectfully reaching out, I will now (assuming the forum stays open) leave permanent re-directs (instead of just 30-day ones, as an earlier user requested) for any threads that are moved to the appropriate airline/hotel/destination forum so that FTers can better find news that is of interest.

Again, I appreciate those who have weighed in on this thread in helpful ways, along with those who have done so privately. Thank you.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Although I'm not 100% sure resolving this singular issue (of not requiring discussion vs. requiring discussion) will bring the forum back to life, as a result of this, I'd like to give Travel News a second chance to become the useful, interesting forum/clipping service it was.

I have thus just voted "no" on the proposed motion.