FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bad medical news. Help me transfer points/miles to wife's account....
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:49 am
lkar

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
3) I was mentioning Coupon Connection as a last thought. Really what my goal is to find alternate ways to move my miles under her name/account.
I think you have the right advice -- BA and Amex are easy, using, respectively, a household account and transferring to her airline. There is no way to give her your Amex as Amex points -- you need to put them into one of her airline accounts. You've taken care of Starwood.

The others are more difficult. I really wouldn't worry too much about the transfer of the Southwest and Hilton. It's so simple for her to redeem these if you give her your account information that the inefficiency of transferring them is not worth it. Since Southwest points basically spend like cash on any ticket, no matter what it's cost, and can be combined with cash to book, there really is no need to do anything other than make sure she knows how to log in to your account and use those miles. Hilton is a bit more cumbersome, but basically the same principle.

For Delta, United, and American, your options are limited. In order of ease, I think the possibilities are (1) pay the transfer fee, or (2) use points.com to trade to another program that is easier for her to control or from which you could do a transfer. For example, you could transfer points to Amtrak, apply for the Amtrak credit card, and then have the ability to transfer out Amtrak points to a hotel program. But this is all very inefficient and/or expensive. I would really look at coupon connection for your 500k or so non-BA airline miles. It will be much easier. Even losing 20 percent on a trade where you give someone control of your United miles and they transfer Chase points to your wife's UR account, is going to be far more efficient than any other possibility out there that I'm aware of.