FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP officer did not stamp my passport
View Single Post
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:40 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ajnz
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.1.0.4699 Mobile Safari/537.10+)

That's quite strange, to me. I live/work in the US with a visa, and every time I enter I get stamped - on average 2-4 times a month. The visa stamps indicate the maximum time you're permitted to remain in the US which is quite an important detail. It would only be immigration officer error for it to not be stamped, IMO.

I doubt you'll have problems, but it does seem odd for it to not have been stamped in the past. Our immigration attorneys are quite particular about making sure our stamps are up to date and correct, and do remind us regularly to ensure they're stamped correctly at entry.

While the entries are recorded electronically (especially now with the electronic I94 and ESTA), the visa stamp is important for you to prove your eligibility to be in the US and your current visa status while there.
You seem to have a work visa and residence, which is very different from the OP's case. Presumably the OP entered as a tourist and was stamped out without any issues. Unless there's a much earlier entry without a corresponding exit, even examination of the passport shouldn't cause trouble in that there is no indication of an overstay. Unfortunately OP can't check the electronic record, but it would be very unusual to have exited the USA by plane without the exit being properly recorded with passport number, name, etc.