FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:40 pm
Apieinthesky

Originally Posted by LongviewTX
Do I imply correctly from #2 that the $75 fee is not waived for elites (if an elite chooses to go #2 instead of #3)?
Indeed.

What are the conditions to get the standby (assuming you have the elite status)? I assume you have to physically be in the airport and can only do that X hours before the flight? Any other conditions - like the flight should be full (i.e. the airline cannot "confirm" you)?
Simply ask an airport agent to add you to the standby list for the flight you want to standby on. If you are standing by for a flight later than your original, call AA Reservations in advance to let them know you are doing this, otherwise you will be marked as a no show for your flight and the rest of your itinerary cancelled.

I'm not sure what you mean by conditions. You can standby for flights to your destination, and you are allowed to standby for different routings. You cannot standby to Hawaii if your original flight is DFW-LAX. Even if the proper inventory (E) for same day confirmed is available, you can choose to standby instead to save yourself the $75.

one more related question when I started to think about your answers more deeply - can "Same day confirmed" only be requested on that same date? Or if you let's say have a 9/20 3:30pm flight, can you request "same day confirmed" change to a 9/20 1:30pm flight a couple of days earlier on 9/18 (9/18 is the physical day the request is made)?
Must be on the same calendar date. See below.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp