FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:27 pm
musikdude

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Originally Posted by bjs1234
Some more thoughts:
We checked in Friday and are checking out Monday. We are a couple in our late 20s.

We booked a regular room on Hyatt.com with points (22,000 per night)
We checked in and were upgraded to a partial ocean view
Room itself is very nice with some high end fixtures. The bed is comfortable. Seating area is small for 2 people but the balcony takes care of that. Balcony chairs are oddly shaped and pretty uncomfortable.

Cons:
-We have a connecting room and quite a bit of noise can be heard from next door. There's at least one toddler in the room and we can hear his voice very clearly. Not what you would expect at a $400+ per night hotel. Since we are getting up very early anyways it has not been a huge issue, but noisier neighbors could cause problems for light sleepers.
-Music is playing everywhere on the pool decks - if you want to sit by the pool and hear nothing but the ocean this probably is not the place. It's not a party atmosphere, but it's not super quiet.
-Room doors slam shut - not sure how they missed addressing this as they are noisy.
-Surprising number of kids even though the hotel is relatively empty. There is a pool near the spa which seems like it is adults only.
-in room coffee is Starbucks via (instant) and an espresso in the marketplace is $4.
-Cocktails by the pool run $16 and beers from $7-$8
-Nothing is written down about activities or services. You have to ask someone for details, which is not very good if you are an introvert like myself.
-Service is too friendly. The hotel is fully staffed but it is not full with occupants, so the staff seems bored and wants to have extended conversations with you. It's very tough to come and go anonymously here if that is what you prefer.
-valet parking is the only option and its $30.

Pros:
-Very nice rooms and grounds. Automated shades in the room, USB chargers, etc - this is a fully updated hotel
-Gym is very nice, free, and fully equipped
-Beach is beautiful - Beach chairs and umbrellas are provided. They have a bunch of water sport rentals: outrigger canoe, kayaks, paddle boards etc for rent. Snorkel gear is $10/day. They do complimentary canoe trips 2x a day for an hour which was fun. Saw many turtles and you get a great view if the island.
- managers reception 1 hr prior to sunset. Not sure if they are every night. But last night they had a nice Pimms cup cocktail, red and white wine.
- free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in the minibar. They did not refill the snacks, so I will have to ask.
-The shower is massive, with a waterfall shower head. The doors on it open see you can see into the room and out the balcony window.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts, but if there are any questions that I can maybe answer while I'm here let me know.
Nice review!

What is the diamond breakfast like? Any chance of getting it via room service for free as well??