FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 8:26 am
cblaisd
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
For instance, how is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tels-bust.html a productive post "with commentary?" That isn't material commentary. Ironically, it has remained open during this debate.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jackal

...If there's so much confusion surrounding what Travel News is that you think shutting it down will cut off all news available to the user even though it's been clearly stated here that the exact same stuff can be posted in TravelBuzz, then maybe it'd be better to eliminate it in order to eliminate the possibility of getting confused.
While I really don't care what the TB decides to do, I am confused by the claim that there is confusion about the purpose of Travel News; it's really very tightly focused: links to and discussion of published general travel news stories that are not airline/hotel/destination-specific. In fact, the Travel Buzz mods will often move threads there because the threads exactly fit those criteria.

Originally Posted by tom911
...It was nice to have an inventory of stories there covering a wide range of topics and have the discretion whether to read them or not based on a descriptive topic title provided from a newspaper or wire service. I really do miss the forum as it was before the changes. I did regularly participate there before the changes and I'd venture that the majority of my posts there did not include commentary. The news articles pretty much stood on their own.
At the request of a Travel News regular, all stories that are posted to Travel News which are more appropriately then moved to an airline/hotel/destination-specific forum are left with a 30-day re-direct so that folks can find stories of interest in forums that they might not ordinarily frequent. It would certainly be easy to make those re-directs permanent if that was the wisdom of those who use the forum. (One of the very most annoying things on any informational bulletin board is having multiple discussions of the same topic in multiple forums. It's extremely unfriendly to newbies, too, who would expect to find discussion of a topic in that topic's forum. A 30-day or permanent re-direct allows the best of both worlds -- a cross-reference while keeping a topic's discussion focused in one forum)

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 6, 2013 at 8:33 am