FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Brazil World Cup 2014
View Single Post
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:33 am
jbcarioca

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by stimpy
If you go back and read my car rental questions, they were pretty simple.

What is Avis like at SSA? Any special requirements? Are child seats required for a 6 year old? Do they have GPS?

What are some interesting places to drive to outside of Salvador?

Nothing to do with safety, car jackings, police, crime, etc. Simple questions that other people had no problems answering without injecting fear, uncertainty and doubt into the conversation.
Adding some points:

First, I forgot to mention Lei Seca (Dry Law). For the last five years there have been periodic blitzes in which all motorists are stopped to check for alcohol. The limits during major events drop to 0.05 ml/litre which basically is zero. Under no circumstances drive after drinking at all!

Second, around Salvador are many interesting places to drive. All of them can be found using guidebooks.

One of my favorites is the original farm of Garcia d'Avila who introduced formal agriculture to the country and also introduced coconut and beef cattle, both of which he brought from Goa, then a Portuguese colony.

South of Salvador are many great beaches as well as many of the oldest towns in Brazil with some buildings dating from the early 1500's.

If you have a few days you can easily travel as far as Porto Seguro. Without attempting to list all the fascinating places, which would take days, I'll simply say Bahia can be fascinating!

A pathetic point. Sadly, most Brazilians know very little about Brazilian history and many care less than they know. You'll hear people say these places are not worth seeing, after all they're mostly old buildings, or ruins.

One completely fascinating place that few know much about is Convento do Carmo, now a hotel in Pelourinho. It has a perfectly preserved, not restored, chapel from 1586, which can be viewed by hotel guests who ask for the private tour. Obviously you don't need a car to get there but they do have parking. Even most residents of Salvador do not know of the wonders of this place. It reminds me of some of the best of province, but this one is perfectly restored and preserved. Worth a stay!

I could go on for a long time.

Car seats are often not used here but they are needed, and not always available with a rental. I would bring one if you can.

If you have other information you'd like PM me. You'll have the perspective of someone who's deeply attracted to the Côte d'Azur, as you know.