FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 3 day road trip from SFO to LAX
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:47 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
You've got 2 1/2 days. That's a reasonable amount of time to take a leisurely, sight-seeing drive from SF to LA.

For Day One I agree with RichardInSF that heading for Napa is a mistake. It will quickly turn into a whole-day effort and then you'll be rushing to get to Monterey late at night. I recommend you limit it to half a day so you can enjoy the remaining drive to Monterey.

Fortunately there are great options for a half-day visit to the Golden Gate. One I really like is to drive across the bridge and visit the Marin Headlands, the mountains stretching to the west from the straight. On Highway 101, take the first exit past the bridge, cross under the highway, and follow the narrow cliffside road winding up the mountain. Stop at the pull-outs to see WWII vintage battlements and awe-inspiring views of downtown SF from across the bay. At the top of the mountain, park and walk up the short trail to see volunteer bird-counters. September and October are peak months for birds of prey migrating through this area. You will see scads of Red-tail Hawks plus less common hawks, falcons, and even eagles.

For Day Two, there are tons of parks along Highway 1 between Monterey and San Luis Obispo. Each one has things worth seeing. It's easy to make a full day out of driving this stretch because there will be so many things you'll want to see.