FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Beware this "extra luggage" rort.
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:09 am
plimflya

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Thumbs down Beware this "extra luggage" rort.

Yesterday we flew BCN to AMS with Vueling a trip arranged through BYO travel in Australia.

Because we were contemplating buying "extras" like wine and shoes I inquired about the cost of buying extra baggage allowance through BYO Travel. I was told each extra bag over the one allowed per person would cost A$28 so we elected to buy two more bags at 23kg each.

When we were checking in the check in clerk went on about how even though we had purchased 2 extra bags we were still only entitled to a total weight per person of the original 23kg each so between us a total weight of all luggage of 46kg. Any weighing over that would be at a cost of 12 euros per extra kilo no matter how many extra bags we had purchased. However because we had purchased the extra baggage he would overlook the extra charges.

I drilled down to get clarification by asking if we had purchased 10 extra bags would we only be entitled to have 2.3 kg in each bag which he affirmed was the case.

To be honest I was thinking to myself this is BS and the guy is trying to get a backhander for being so kind to us. I thanked him profusely for being so kind and left thinking I had to get to the bottom of his story.

I wrote to BYO and got a prompt reply apologizing for any inconvenience but that yes indeed in the small print it was confirming what the check in clerk had told me. They offered to refund the extra charges I had paid which I have accepted based on the fact I do not like paying for bad value items.

The thing is suppose this guy had a bad day and was looking to punish someone for it and exercised his right to charge us. We calculated that we would have been up for another 30 times 12 euros being 360 euros plus the fact we had already paid BYO A$56 or 38 euros almost 400 euros for what?

I still can't accept that what they do is legal. It is definitely not moral.

Emails are available to confirm this.

Last edited by plimflya; Aug 30, 2013 at 6:07 am Reason: clarify the title