FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qantas or Delta?
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:55 am
Nugget_Oz

Originally Posted by rawr703
I am flying from SYD to JFK (or LGA) in late January 2014. Right now my priority is an early arrival time, so I'm looking at two flights:

Delta DL 16 (marketed by Virgin, not sure what that means) Boeing 777-200ER & Boeing 767-300ER Vers. 1

OR

Qantas QF 107 (marketed by American) Boeing 747-438 Longreach 2-Class

Either way I'll be going economy class, but I was hoping anyone who has flown these routes/planes before could offer some advice. The price difference between the two in negligible. I'm 5'2, so leg room is not a huge deal for me. I will not have any checked bags. The Delta flight supposedly has one inch more of width in the seats, but I doubt one single inch makes much difference. I don't fly often enough to qualify for any special programs upgrades or any of that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I have flown both and I would go with DL but it's really line ball. DL 16 is a 777-200LR and QF 107 is a 747-400ER. Seats are about on par although depending on your preferences the DL plane is pleather whilst the QF plane is cloth. All have personal TVs with free content, free beer, wine and spirits (DL will provide it if asked).

The only advantage of DL is there is no terminal change at LAX, although I understand QF is trying to do the same thing now using the remote stands.

As an aside you're not going to be able to get in to LGA without an additional stopover.