FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:00 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
The suite upgrades are far more attractive than upgrading with points. The upgrades can be used with any paid rate, the points mostly only when paying the daily rate.

So it wouldn't be a bad thing if the suite upgrades would be only be awarded after completion of the challenge. Now people who only intend to have a few nights are using them diminishing capacity for the really loyal GP members. And it's most likely also one of the reasons places like Kauai have downgraded the type of suite to be gotten when using an upgrade.
I just applied 6 point suite upgrades to an extended stay. AAA rate and the daily rate is $23 daily difference. Needless to say, I saved my Diamond Suite Upgrades for a nicer property. But I also saved a couple hundred bucks a night with the points upgrade. So well worth it for us because we like the extra space. In fact great value for us.

It just depends on the property how valuable a suite upgrade and point upgrade is worth. For me, having stayed at Fairmonts for ten years with room rates fluctuating and in the range of $250 to $500 per night. $23 per night is nothing really to sneeze at. Now, say I paid full shot for the suites over 21 nights, well that's $4,200 difference.

The Diamond inclusions are excellent and that's apart from the suite upgrades. They are bonus to us as our motivation for the program are suites. This cherry on top of the sundae is winning me over. Lounge access with small kids are a godsend.

Just checked into HR Maui and parking got comped, free cabana for the entire stay, free full or lounge breakfast, ocean front suite.. The grounds are perfect for the kids. Diamond treatment is special. If a few are in it for a short while, I think they've missed part of the point in the experience.