FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:28 pm
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Last year I was able to use some of the suite upgrades but some were left unexpired. I did get what was possibly one of the coolest suites I've ever had at DFW of all places on my very first stay of last year's challenge, this was a regular upgrade not a confirmed one: http://milesabound.com/hyatt-diamond-amazing-upgrade/

My HGP account is down to <500 points right now so if I don't actually try to qualify for this one (frankly I am signing up for the benefits at an upcoming stay) then I can always open a new account next year and try again if and when the need arises
Thats an absolutely amazing suite you've got there. And looks like you are travel blogger, so the hotels will definitely want to treat you nice to get a positive review.

Thinking about it for a couple of hours and having everything settle in my mind, I can see why some long time Diamonds are dissapointed. Coming from 10 years as a Fairmont President's Club Platinum member and staying so many nights, only to see the program become inundated from non-loyal customers, I can empathize how current Diamond members feel.

So I said, ok.. instead of fighting it.. enjoy the market forces, and I'm here now. So on a go forward as an FT member, I'm going to be more open minded about where travels take my family. Going to the same hotel for 10 years is nice, but why not travel to the same places (or different places for that matter) and try different hotels. My wife has been asking about Grand Wailea and Hilton Waikoloa. So I'm looking into the Hilton program just in case our Hawaii travels can take us there.

I like Hyatt because of the suites. Never mind about the free nights. As a Canadian I don't have a Hyatt cc I can go to. But I get put up in a suite. Suites are affordable even at full price at some hotels (HR Orange County), and accessible on points (not just diamond upgrades).

Another viewpoint. Hyatt used to Status Match. In a way Diamond Challenges, and the ability to redo Challenges if they continue to exist, puts up more of a barrier to entry, because the new member on a Challenge is only Diamond for 60 days as opposed to open ended balance of the year and next if an elite member from another hotel chain. Only paying customers who are willing to stay at Hyatt seriously would sign up for the challenge. This gives Hyatt the opportunity to win over business with superior offerings during the Challenge for 60 days. Status Match, would just inundate the program with non loyal customers throughout the program year.

So far, I can conclude that Diamond Challenge is far superior for Hyatt than an all out status match they used to do. Sure some properties get inundated, and sacrificed. If its for the suite upgrades, then a member would have to qualify the 12 nights to remain diamond to enjoy diamond amenities, not just the suite upgrade. Besides, its only 6,000 points for a suite upgrade of 4 nights.

As far as I can assume, Hyatt used to do Status Matches without restrictions all the time. It would make sense that the Diamond Challenge would weed out customers who are not serious, although a few benefits are left over for a positive experience after a Diamond Challenge.