FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Manufactured spending = wire fraud ?
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2013, 4:04 pm
PaulMSN
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerred
My interest is in finding out if manufactured spending, in any of its varied forms- amazon payments, money orders, or gift card buys and deposits, can be prosecuted at all. If not under the umbrella of wire fraud, then another felony? There are probably thousands of flyertalkers who are already engaged in this activity. The financial records are permanent and readily available to government officials if they're interested. Perhaps a credit card company were particularly annoyed by a specific high volume individual, the credit card company could encourage/ request criminal prosecution. Is there grounds at all, even by stretching the letter of the law, to prosecute someone for manufactured spending?
Please point out to us where the fraud occurs. Here are two definitions of fraud -- show where manufactured spend meets either definition.

1) A false representation of a matter of fact—whether by words or by conduct, by false or misleading allegations, or by concealment of what should have been disclosed—that deceives and is intended to deceive another so that the individual will act upon it to her or his legal injury.

2) Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.

I make purchases with a CC and gain points by doing so. That I am able to buy GCs and then MOs with the GCs which I can then deposit has entirely to do with the rules and practices of the CC companies, the retailers and the banks. There is no fraud. I am merely taking advantage of favorable conditions.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Aug 17, 2013 at 4:13 pm