FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Budget Toll Pass RIPOFF (MCO)
View Single Post
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:52 pm
ctuttle

Programs: DL Gold, UA Ag Muti-year WN Companion Pass, A+, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Ntl EmExElite
I had a similar situation where the lady at the tollgate said her system saw that it had read my pass even though it was in the off position and I was in the cash line, as far as you could get from the electronic reader.

So just because you have it in the off position there is a possibility it will be read and charged. All that on/off thing is a low-tech lever that moves it closer to the window, and moving it an inch off the window in the real world doesn't make it unreadable, despite what the marketing department says.

I did have the receipts and the time on the receipt was the same time as the charge so had absolutely no issues getting them removed other than the hassle of having to call and have it removed - it is another company, not Budget, and when you call Budget customer service one of the options is to be connected to the toll company, so guess they get a lot of calls about bogus charges.

Best option is either to request a car without the electronic toll device - I've had luck with this, or just taking the damn thing off (it is attached with Velcro) and putting it in the glove box so that it won't be read.

Now don't forget there are areas that have toll roads where it is impossible to pay for them in cash (Denver's E-470 comes to mind) and you will be charged, and you will pay an administrative fee when they pay it for you.