FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Cinque Terre trails – Up-to-date advice needed.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:32 am
travelinmanS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
I read in La Stampa earlier this week that the easy trail from Manarola to Corniglia should be re-opening this week, and was looking at doing this – but from what I have read, although the trail is easy, we would still have to walk up the steps to the village if we wanted to have lunch there (although I guess we could always take the 12:29 train back to Manarola – or even walk back to Corniglia for a well deserved lunch). Another alternative could be to take the train from Rapallo to Corniglia so my partner and the dog could walk to Vernazza, whilst I take the mother-in-law to Vernazza on the 11:28 train and wait for them there.

Would any FT'er have the local knowledge or the villages and trails to be able to comment or offer any other ideas that might work? As you see, at this point I'm flexible and willing to consider any itinerary that could be suitable.

Many thanks,

Up In The Air
If you just want to walk the trail and the Manarolo-Corniglia trial is indeed open again, then I'd recommend getting off the train at Corniglia and walking the trail to Manarolo. This means you wouldn't actually get into the town of Corniglia but you'd avoid walking up the stairs as well because the train station in Corniglia is at the base of the stairs.

Honestly, with such a short time and the choice of trails so limited by the closures I'd get off the train in Monterroso, walk to the boat dock and take the ferry between the towns. You'll see much more than you can see from the train and you can get off and on the ferry as you see fit to visit each town (except for Corniglia).