FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CA986 SFO > PEK in J: 744 Reviews? Upper or lower deck?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:39 am
AA_EXP09
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Just completed CA986 SFO-PEK

Other than the inbound being VERY late due to bad thunderstorms on it's departure the flight went fine (UA PEK-SFO inbound was also very late on the 11th)

Was on the Upper Deck, 2nd row from front of cabin. Was quiet, no issues with being on upper deck. Older style 170 degree angled seating - found it easier just to recline like a lounger and leave it at that. LED mood lighting in the upper deck and lower deck biz/first cabins.

We had a good Cabin crew in our cabin who were friendly and specifically the FA we generally dealt with had good English skills

First on this aircraft was mid cabin and was a full flat product, seemed newer than the 747 Combi first, on par with the 777 first cabin.

Meal service was fine, better selection than United for Asian style dishes with a Steak bernaise served as Western selection on main meal.

L'Occitane amenity kit and Sleeper suit handed out.

IFE was OK but not exceptional a few recent western films. I had my own media player so didn't really use it except for Air Show.

In the Beijing T3 Biz lounge waiting on an onward flight to SIN. Showers in the lounge - ask at reception - not as nice as ANA's showers in NRT or HND but acceptable after a long flight.

On Arrival into T3, I had a connecting boarding pass, followed signs to International Transfer. Line at our arrival time had no more than 3 people in it with 2 agents working transfer immigration. Dropped down into security after that which took 3-4 mins. All in all NOT huge lines so made a connect from landing to lounge in 20 mins or so - WE were late so likely lines weren't an issue.

This isn't Asiana or ANA or Singapore Air Biz, but even my co-worker commented that it was a nice change from the inconsistent flights we get on United. I wouldn't have a qualm flying CA over UA, if you give me the choice of SQ, OF course I will fly them.

Any questions, let me know
CA isn't a bad airline-the worst part is probably entering China.
(And you get to use the YVR MLL if you have lounge access. Can't speak for SFO, though I would suspect the very bad UA RCC.)