FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving/Walking to Mexico from San Diego?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 5:20 pm
EmailKid
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
As a NYer, Tijuana was a worthwhile trip while in San Diego for one reason only: food. Churros on the street, fish tacos, other tacos, and who knows what else found within a 25-minute walk of the Tijuana side of the border. Checking out the jai alai arena was a bonus.

BUT, the (pedestrian) line getting back into the states was unsurprisingly horrendously long. Can't imagine how it is on a bad day.
On my last trip a few months ago (love to visit San Diego and take the trolley and cross the border for cheap eats and cheap hotel - yes I really DO sleep on the Mexican side) it was an hour plus wait, and that was in the morning

Originally Posted by flyboy60
I used to go to Tijuana often, but nowadays, the line back into the U.S., which is invariably over an hour long, and often 2+ hours, has kept me from doing this trip for a couple of years. It's safe enough, but there isn't really anything alluring enough in TJ to make me want to wait for 2 hours on line to get back to the U.S.
I've also walked around in the past outside Avenida Revolucion tourist area and never had any problems.

There's a also the river district, which is closer to the border and looks much cleaner with nice restaurants. If you don't want to take taxis, it's not a long walk to either district, or there's a bus that runs from US side to downtown Tijuana.

But there is a ton of stuff to do in San Diego, so my only objection to going to TJ would be time - mostly crossing back to US.

EmailKid