FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was this a weather related diversion or an AA technical failure?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:27 am
txrus

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thumper
Flew yesterday afternoon from MIA up to LGA.

At boarding time we were advised that due to weather, causing heavy volume in LGA arrivals, we would be delayed 30 to 45 minutes for take-off. On the radio (NY News Radio 88), they were reporting 90 minute to 2 hour arrival delays.

We finally took off, and about 2 hours into the 2 hour 30 minute flight the pilot came on and said we were going to be diverted to BDL (Hartford), as we would not have enough fuel to enter the holding pattern. We diverted to Hartford, fueled and left again in less than an hour for the quick 25 minute flight to LGA. In the end we got in around 2 1/2 hours late.

So that is the background. In my opinion this was a "technical" delay versus a weather delay. I feel this way because the airline knew the weather conditions, knew the airport conditions and still chose to send us with the minimal fuel they felt was correct. Now the vast majority of time, this makes sense as it saves money. However, in this case, they gambled wrong, my trip suffered and I feel that part of taking the gamble for the airline was the possibility that a plane load of passengers would suffer. And when that happens, the airline should compensate us in some form.

I am curious to hear from others opinions in a non-flame manner. No, I have not filed a complaint nor requested anything.
It's entirely possible that when your pilot was cleared to go by LGA (it's not up to the airline when there is weather in the area-it's up to local ATC & typically you don't go until ATC gives your plane a landing slot), it was w/the intent to go straight in. However, that's a several hour flight & it's absolutely possible the weather changed while you were enroute forcing ATC to slow down arrivals even more. Hence you ended up circling. I've had this happen several times this summer going DFW-EWR. There is just too much traffic up there on a good day-add in weather, & there's been a lot of that, & you're lucky if all that happens is that you get delayed.

As my boss loves to say, 'when you travel, it happens'.