FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Launches LAX to SFO Shuttle
View Single Post
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:57 pm
McGowan06

Programs: DL Plat, AS Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I guess I still don't understand this service from a business standpoint. Same day fares on this route are usually under $500, and if booked in advance can be around $150. What makes this profitable, and why not other routes? Is it because its such a short route flown by RJ's? Is it it the sheer volume of pax--so that Delta can sort of "own" this route and make a profit through selling a high volume of tickets?

Don't get me wrong, I fly this route often and am thrilled about this.... but I'm just not clear on why this makes sense for Delta and why other routes that are longer and more expensive don't get the perks. I know I already asked this question...but things like "delta's shuttle service has always been a better product" do not answer my question. Any thoughts form a business perspective?
Completely agree. I just booked a couple of flights in September and October for $159 round trip each. Over the last two years, the most I can remember paying for a one-way walk-up on this route was $229 or $239 or something. And on this route my upgrade percentage has been, I'd guess, at least 75%.