FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RUMOR: UA re-configuring CR7's to add 4 seats
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:45 pm
mgcsinc

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Honestly, if true, wouldn't be surprised if they also adjust the E+ to E- ratio. Over 50% of the E seats are E+. Compare the CR7s to the E70s - CR7 have 8 rows of E+ (including exit rows - 32 of 60 seats) to E70 which has 4 rows (16 of 64). I've always wondered why the huge difference.

And I know I'm just one person, so am not a representative sample of passengers, much less routes flown, but almost every single CR7 I've flown in for the past several years, E- is full in advance, often well in advance, with E+ less then half full until check in/gate. My guess is, more than any other aircraft type, they're giving away more E+ on this aircraft type than others, and they probably could make more revenue with more seats and less E+ here.
I've found this odd as well, and heard several conversations among non-elite pax on these flights about how "it wouldn't let me select a seat without paying, so I just waited and I got this one for free."