FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it Possible to Book an Award Ticket from Hawaii to Europe/Asia via "the Long Way"?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:00 am
BarScheeze

Could I just have left well enough alone?

Originally Posted by BarScheeze
To my surprise, the United agent had very little to say during the whole conversation and simply processed the change, plus $50 in change-of-carrier fees. I must have waited in the silence, listening to the other agents behind her, for 15 minutes.

End result: KBP-FRA (LH), FRA-PEK (LH), PEK-ICN (CA), ICN-HNL (OZ), HNL-ITO (HA)
Well, I may have asked for too much. Shooting for a change to give me a 23 hour 45 minute (supposedly legal) layover in PEK, I did the error-message/call-you-back thing from United.com and reached a polite, articulate agent in Salt Lake City. She told me she had to reboot her computer once she entered my PNR, saying how she wondered if my complex itinerary had something to do with it. I suspected I was already sunk.

She heard my request to delay my PEK-ICN flight until the next morning and continue the itinerary from there. She said the ticket would not price. (It hasn't priced by any agent's computer since day one.) She put me on hold to talk to "the routing desk." She returned to say that it seemed my itinerary didn't follow "the rules," but reassured me that regardless of the outcome of my current request, United would honor the present routing.

I am now awaiting a call back in seven hours from the same agent after she "look[s] it over with [her] supervisor."

Do I already have something I'm not entitled to, and am now asking too much? Feels like more stress than it's worth.