FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Charming stopover between Paris and Roubaix?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 3:19 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
I'm planning a business trip to include a one-day visit to Roubaix in September. I'd like to fly into Paris and drive or take a train in the direction of Roubaix, and stop in a charming town to spend a day getting acclimated before going on to Roubaix a day or two later. The web site listing the "most beautiful villages of France" doesn't have a single entry in that area, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'd like to find a quaint B&B in a town where I can walk to a center that is old and at least fairly well preserved, where there might be the added interest of a river or a castle or cathedral, and where I can count on finding really good food (not necessarily Michelin-star level, but the type of wonderful country restaurant I've found in other parts of the French countryside. A Michelin "bib Gourmand" type place or two would be great.

I see Amiens on the map, and I know the cathedral there is an attraction. What about the rest of the town around the cathedral? Is it too big and too modern to be considered "charming?" I'm assuming Amiens might allow me to arrive from CDG by train, and possibly rent a car there to drive to my business appointment, which would be a plus, but not a necessity.

Any ideas for other places, or thoughts about Amiens?
One general way to find some of the sort of places described by the OP is the R&C list/map. These can be expensive, however. Another way it to look in the Michelin or Gault-Millault books/maps for the "red" (pleasant) hotels and then look at restaurant listings for the same town, possibly including restaurants within the hotel. There are also some "romantic" hotels and hotels of charm lists/associations that can be helpful.

Can you ask your business contacts for suggestions?