FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A trip to Myanmar (Burma) - SK, TG C, LH C (w/pics)
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:28 am
broenor

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Yangon - Bagan
I had to get up very (I mean very) early to get 06:30 AM flight from Yangon to Bagan. The domestic airport terminal is next to the international airport building. The flight was with Air Bagan, operated by Asian Wing Airways. The flight was with an ATR 72-500. This propeller aircraft has around 70 seats in a 2+2 configuration. The aircraft looked fairly new. The flight, W9-143, is actually a roundtrip with several legs (Yangon – Bagan – Mandalay – Helo – Yangon). At each stop some people disembark and some board the aircraft. Passengers not aimed for this stop are waiting in the aircraft. At each stop the aircraft is on ground for not more than about 15 - 20 minutes. There seems to be several airlines operating the same way (Mandalay Airlines, KBZ and others).

Boarding on domestic flights is pretty much a person walking through the waiting area holding up a sign with the flight that are about to board. Below is an example of these signs at Heho airport.

The flight Yangon – Bagan took 1 hours and 15 min. Some mineral water was offered at the beginning of the flight. There was also serving of breakfast. Not bad.

ATR 72-500 at Nyaung U Airport/Bagan

Bagan
Bagan is one of Myanmar’s wonders. Bagan was the capital of the first empire, and at its peak between the 11 th and 13 th century more than 4.000 temples was built within an area of 40 km2 (16 sq. miles). Still there around 3000 temples scattered around the plains of Bagan next to the Ayeyarwady river.

I stayed at Arthawka hotel in village of New Bagan.

Hotel room

Old Bagan is 2 miles further North. A very convenient way to explore Bagan is to rent a bike and make your way around, and make your own itinerary as you go. It was very hot though, almost 40 C (104 F). Still I was able to visit all main temples.

Wooden figures in temple

Public transport by Gawdawpalin Paya

Myanmar petrol station

Horse cart; alternative way to get around if not you not want to bike

Old Bagan is next to river Ayeyarwady river

Biking sure makes you hungry after a while. A typical Burmese meal will consist of rice and a main dish like Chicken curry as in this case. In addition an array of side dishes is included like soup, vegetables, dried fish and some spicy dips. The food is not as spicy as Thai food. Some unfamiliar tastes, but overall it was quite tasty.

Chicken curry, the Myanmar way

Last edited by broenor; Aug 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm