FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Residence Inn PDX, Portland, OR [Master Thread]
Old Jul 29, 2013, 9:25 pm
djp98374

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
The Residence inn airport location opened about recently (1-2 yrs ago---I could be off slightly).

The big negative there is its right near the airport and there isnt much nearby in terms of restaurants. You have a shopping center (Cascade Station) that has IKEA, best buy and a few other chain stores along with a few places to eat.

the other issue (im also not up to date on the schedule) IIRC the light rail red line stops at a rather early time compared to other lines. If you are traveling down to Portland to see a concert at the Rose Garden or an NBA game the red line isnt operable after the game/concert.

I dont know what kind of deal you got to stay there but IMHO I think its rather overpriced for hotels in the area. Can find better deals at other airport hotels and you can still connect to the red line via airport shuttle.

Another option to stay in Portland and be near a light rail station. Look in North Portland near the expo center/janzen beach area where they recently built a few other Marriotts. there is a complex of FI, CY, and RI right next to each other. they do airport shuttles and they are close to light yellow line light rail station (unsure if shuttles will take you there).

I have stayed at the FI in the past because they have a MEM rate of $65/night if you have status and this rate counts towards awards.

EDIT: Guess this $65 rate is no more....its now set at $89.

I have stayed at the RI in the downtown area a couple times. I did not like the $25/night for parking. the RI primary source of people staying there are for OHSU (Why i stayed there). It is better now because they opened up the street car connection. When they open up the MAX Milwaukie line in 2015 there will have a station there. thus you could get to and from there from the airport via MAX line.

I stayed there one time---was for a sleep study--- one floor OHSU uses to conduct sleep studies and other ovenight medical testing.

Last edited by djp98374; Jul 30, 2013 at 11:03 am