FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kicked off flight due to toddler crying caused by US Airways
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:11 am
Eclipsepearl

Programs: United Plus
I'm a former Flight Attendant and confused.

1. You can't get kicked off a flight just because your child is crying. Trust me, I've been there. Families have been kicked off flights because their children wouldn't stay seated (either in their laps or in a seat). This IS a FAA violation. Crying is not.

2. Why couldn't you sit in the bulkhead? If the seat fit, it should be good to go. Was it an exit row? Exit row seating guidelines apply and no children, car seat or not, are allowed. But I've never heard of car seats not being allowed in the bulkhead. If that's true, it's US Airways rule, NOT a FAA reg.

3. They put a car seat on the aisle? Both airlines I worked for didn't allow this. I've heard some airlines allow certain car seats on the aisle so perhaps this applies??

4. Families who are booted off are usually re-accommodated quickly. Heck, they do this when the passenger is totally at fault! There was a school group removed from a flight and they split them up and got them to their destination (abeit, some kind of creatively) and they weren't cooperating with crew instructions (wouldn't take their seats for take-off).

Did you leave the airport before getting a re-assignment? Not a sin in itself but did the revs agent you spoke with know about the situation?

Something went very wrong. Sorry to hear about this but pursue it. You may also want to contact a lawyer if necessary. Crying is NOT a reason to off-load a family.