FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:25 pm
rjbinney

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Gold, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by imverge
If I understand correctly, you want to buy a revenue ticket on United and have the miles credited to USDM?
Do that all the time, yeah.

US will announce a cut-off date for earning and redeeming with STAR. Up until that point it should be business as usual.... as they always say

If they officially exit STAR before you take your flight then you have to decide if you want to credit UA or another STAR partner.
So my question is...

Since the last two major mergers were both 'within the alliance', this is a bit unprecedented.

Does anyone suppose that IF the flights are booked through Star Alliance on partner metal BEFORE THEY ANNOUNCE the transition date, but the flights are after the announced cutover date... Will there be any honoring, in the spirit of good business practice/customer loyalty/retention, whatever.

(I will say I'm not optimistic - I flew on a partner airline (Ethiopean) earlier this year (they were terrible, by the way, and paid full-fare biz class to boot), and they botched the transmission of my DM data, so it took six weeks of phone calls to Addis Ababa (on my part, NOT US Air's!) before CP would credit me.)

If they leave after your flight your miles will be credited to USDM and then merged with AAvantage which will then allow you to use your miles with OW.
Well, yeah.