FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Defining the mission of MilesBuzz; Adding a Flame Free Q&A Forum?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:32 pm
beltway

Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but while I hear what you're saying I don't feel in the long run it'll help those other fora to continually build bypasses around them. Today's new member is tomorrow's expert and if we continually enable those members to avoid the individual fora it only help makes us poorer as a community down the road. I'd much rather see them encouraged to intereact in those forums rather than build ways to avoid them though that's only MHO.
I think your views & mine aren't all that far apart. Yes, newbies should be encouraged to visit (and read up on the accumulated lore in) the program-specific fora. And presumably that's happening today in the responses to the many "Advice:" threads in MilesBuzz.

The problem with the current state of affairs, though, is just that: these gentle correctives (and the queries that prompt them) don't belong in MilesBuzz, if that forum's charter is going to reflect its name and past function.

Like it or not, there is already a "bypass" around the program-specific fora: MilesBuzz in its present state. As far as I can tell, the options available are
  1. Leave things as they are, with the function of "MilesBuzz" completely divorced from its past purpose
  2. Try to clean house in MB (& restore its charter) by putting the Sisyphean burden on mods to lock/move the incessant advice-seeking threads
  3. Create a new Newbie [or Award Advice] forum & place it before MilesBuzz in the fourm list, so it draws these non-MBish posts.