FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Capital One Aspire credit card - any real world experience?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:11 am
AMCyyz
Company Representative - Capital One

Originally Posted by marktwothousand
Oh dear, I wish I had read this thread before. I think I will be in deep doggy-doo, with respect to my delay claim. I was delayed over 6 hours and decided to stay over night and catch a morning flight instead. The hotel was almost $240. I have sent all my documentation and am waiting for a response from WTP. Here is the reason for the delay in the letter from the airline:

"This flight was delayed due to late arrival of inbound aircraft as a result of earlier air traffic flow management concerns caused by adverse weather conditions."

According to all this, it looks like I will get denied. Plus, I charged the "full cost of the flight" to the card, but broke the "full cost" up into smaller transactions on the card so that I could use points to cover for it later. The insurer will probably try to use that to say "it wasn't the full cost".

I can't believe these horror stories, and how C1's card can win all these nods from reviewers. Maybe they have not used travel protection? These experiences should be compiled and the story should go right to the Toronto Star's Consumer Critic.
Hi @marktwothousand,

It’s Andrew from Capital One. I spoke with our insurance administrator and they confirmed that if customers charge the full cost of a flight to their Capital One Aspire card through several transactions, then it does meet the requirement set out in the Certificate of Insurance. As long as the full cost of the flight was charged to the card and customers submit all the transactions (for example, the itinerary from the travel agent or airline company as well as the MasterCard statements with the transaction(s) highlighted for easy reference) as part of the back-up.

On another note, thanks for sharing the example of the detailed letter that the airline provided you concerning the purpose of your flight delay. It's exactly what a claims' administrator looks for when reviewing a submission. Having said that, if the airline had only provided you with "late inbound flight" as the reason for the delay, then the claims' administrator would reach out to the airline to acquire more detail. I think we can both agree that when airlines provide detailed reasons for cause of delay, similar to what you received, it's much more efficient and saves everyone a lot of time.

Feel free to DM any time if I can be of any assistance, and please let me know when your claim is settled.

Regards,

Andrew