FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving from Lima Airport to Paracas
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 13, 10:32 pm
bingocallerb22

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer View Post
I found that GPS on my phone with a cache version of Google Maps worked really well. Almost turn by turn and tracked very well.

No kidding about 101. As the economy here improves, it becomes more like a parking lot.

I've dealt with ambiguous policing situations around the world and I guess if you are prepared for it and take it all in stride without getting too upset, things will be ok. I was ready to sneak s10 - 20 over with my driver's license but never had to do it.

Cheers,
SF
No, no, please no coimas (bribes), not necessary and a really bad idea on many levels. Not saying there are no corrupt police, but gringos can just stare them down. I once insisted one take me to the Commiseria to the bemusement of my Peruvian friends because he then was off road and hence missed other opportunities. But that is my only example after many years. I think it a bit of a myth or exaggeration that police shakedown tourists in Peru – more fertile ground with the locals. I guess your experience sort of proves my point.