FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:19 pm
abc123xyz12345

Hello, I searched on the vouchers thread but didn't find the answer I needed.

I booked a flight and was not able to take it. AA says I have a credit for $2782.76.

I would like to use this credit so my husband can accompany me on an upcoming business trip, but I understand they cannot change the name on the ticket. However, if I book a flight that doesn't use the full amount, they will give me a voucher for the difference (minus $200 or $275 change fee and the cost of the new flight I book).

If I book a flight for myself for say $500 then I would have roughly $2000 in vouchers to use.

Questions:
1. AA said they snail mail the vouchers for the remainder amount after I book my flight. At first she said it could take 3 weeks, then I mentioned I am in a time crunch and then she said it could take up to 6 weeks to receive the vouchers. Any idea how fast they normally come? Delivering to a street address in MO (midwest USA). Wanting to use the vouchers for a trip starting 31 aug 2013. Any way to expedite this process, pay a fee, get them electronically rather than paper, or use my Gold status to make it faster somehow?

2. The agent on the phone said the voucher could be used for ANY airline, as long as the flight was booked via AA. In the vouchers wiki page, it says the voucher can only be used on Airfare on American Airlines/Eagle/Connection, codeshares, and oneworld itineraries where AA is the international/"governing" carrier. I need to book the flight on LAN airlines (MEX-LIM or SCL-SAO for example). Can I use the voucher for flights on LAN?

Thanks in advance for your help.